Throughout history, some of the most impressive and gorgeous designs have been made with mosaic tile. It’s used frequently in Middle Eastern countries, where the designs are astonishingly intricate. But mosaic tile doesn’t need to be quite that elaborate. Lately, we’ve seen a ton of clients coming in, hoping to incorporate mosaic tile in small doses in their bathrooms and kitchens. Read on to find out about this not-so-new trend:
What’s Mosaic Tile, and Why’s It So Hot?
Mosaic tile comes in a huge range of styles and applications. When most people think of mosaic tile, they think of the one-inch squares that have been used throughout history to create complex designs on walls and floors. However, in recent years mosaic tile has become a major industry. These days, you can find it in all kinds of sizes, colors, and materials.
People love mosaic tile for a simple reason—it’s an easy way to jazz up your space. The variation in color, style, and size allows for virtually infinite customization. No two mosaic designs need be the same. If you’re looking to give your home a splash of personality, a decorative mosaic tile design is the way to go.
Where Do People Use Mosaic Tile?
Mosaic tile has traditionally been used in backsplashes and on walls as decorative accents. Today, we’re seeing mosaic tile becoming a trend for floors, too—particularly in smaller areas, such as bathrooms and showers.
Pros of Mosaic Tile
- Unlimited creativity. The sky’s the limit when it comes to mosaic tile! If you can dream it, you can design it. (And have a professional install it for you—trust us, it’s the way to go.)
- Your choice of material. Not a fan of marble mosaics? Why not try glass or travertine, or a combination? There’s a huge array of materials out there that can be made into mosaic tiles, which means you can choose the material that works best for you.
- Easy to replace. The size of mosaic tiles is a huge help in a number of ways. Because of its relatively small area, a mosaic tile is less likely to crack or break. And if you do need to replace a tile here or there, it’s easy and affordable to put in a replacement.
- Easy to maintain. This is particularly true for glass mosaic tiles, but it’s generally true all around—cleaning and maintenance of mosaic tiles is a breeze! The only thing you’ll want to watch out for are scratches, which can accumulate over time.
Cons of Mosaic Tile
- Expensive. Because of the sheer number of tiles you need to buy, mosaic tile can be quite expensive. This, of course, depends on your design—but generally, mosaic tile patterns will cost quite a bit more than a regular ceramic or porcelain tile.
- Depending on material, might be easily scratched or damaged. Glass is probably the most popular material for mosaic tiles. If you chose glass, be wary of scratches. These can make your tile installation less lustrous and, over time, may require replacement.
- Difficult to install. Mosaic tile requires very careful, delicate installation. It will take much longer than other kinds of tile installation. If you install glass mosaic tiles, it’s important to work with a professional. Because glass is translucent, you’ll be able to see the adhesive through the tile if the installation is not done properly.
Did we pique your curiosity about mosaic tile? Are you ready to unleash your creativity? Stop by our showroom today to speak with one of our mosaic tile experts and start the design process.